Hello, Beautiful People!
Unfortunately, we have to head off a potential outbreak of COVID-19 in our congregation. Here are the facts:
- A number of persons have been in “close contact” with a person who was or later became symptomatic. One of the CDC definitions for close contact is being “…within 6 feet of someone who has COVID-19 for a total of 15 minutes or more.” A link to those guidelines and when to quarantine can be found below.
- Three persons have tested positive. Two additional persons at the moment are reporting symptoms. No one in our church has thus far had to be hospitalized.
- It does NOT appear that any exposure took place during Sunday morning worship in our sanctuary. However, some frequent worship attendees were exposed in other settings at MEUMC. We have asked them to monitor their health and get tested when they feel it right to do so.
As the list of potential contacts has grown to twelve persons, all of whom are active members, our church staff, in consultation with the COVID-19 Task Force, have recommended to me that in-person worship be canceled for this Sunday, January 10, 2021. As senior pastor, I agree with this recommendation. We WILL have our online service as usual at 10:30 on our church YouTube channel. Please inform anyone else in our congregation. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.
You can help us by observing the following:
- If you develop symptoms similar to those listed for COVID-19, please do not come to the church, but DO let us know so that we can be in prayer with you.
- If you suspect or know that you are positive for COVID-19 AND you think that your exposure happened on our church property, it is imperative that you let me (334-618-7990) or another staff person know as quickly as possible.
Beautiful friends, please do all you can to reduce risk of exposure by following the three Ws – Watch your distance, Wear a mask, and Wash your hands! This is how we LOVE OUR NEIGHBORS!
Grace, Peace, and Healing,
The Rev. Dr. Sam Parkes